I’ve been in Indiana with David for a couple weeks, so obviously, I’ve wanted to look nice. The trouble is, I haven’t wanted to spend my whole day primping on his days off. I want to spend that time with him! Other days, it seems my allergies won’t cooperate with me. Sometimes you want to look nice but it’s just not the best day for you. Honestly, I’ve been lucky and haven’t had as many of those days lately, but I was just thinking about it and thought I’d share some tips with you. Ways that you can look a little more put together without much additional time and effort.
- Wear a belt. This is probably the best thing anyone can teach you about style. Just wear a belt. It won’t take much longer to put one on, and you’ll look much more put together. Plus, your pants won’t droop.
- Skip the tee and opt for a button up instead. You don’t have to button it all the way up or wear a tie. Just throw on a shirt. It helps if it hasn’t been wadded up somewhere, but one wrinkle won’t make you look like a slob. Trust me. I’m not saying to always wear one, but if you want to add that extra something without having to try, just have some button up shirts in your wardrobe because they really do make you look like you know a little something about dressing yourself, whether you do or not.
- Tuck in your shirt. You can even do it with a t-shirt, albeit only certain ones, and it doesn’t look great on everyone. Still, it’s a step above the baggy tee and sweats you could opt for.
- If your hair’s a little messy, get it damp with some water and run your fingers through it until it’s not sticking up. You don’t even necessarily have to comb it, but if you want to, go for it.
- Wear some lip balm. Everyone loves moisturized lips.
- Consider a watch.
- Keep your shoes clean. Do this when you’re not going somewhere. Just clean them while you watch television or something.
You don’t have to do all of these things to look put together. Just try one or two if you want. But, please, heed my advice and put a belt on.
- Big sunglasses. It worked for Jackie O, it can work for us. When you do this, it can detract attention from imperfections you might normally conceal with makeup, and it covers your dark circles for you.
- Do something with your hair. There are a lot of easy styles out there, plenty of tutorials on YouTube and Pinterest. Try a french braid, just braid your hair to the side and let it hang over your shoulder, or twist your bangs back and pin. Check out my board on Pinterest if you want to see some I use. I have quite a few easy ones on there that look like way more effort than they really used.
- Add a hair accessory. I really think a hair accessory can bring your look together on the way out the door if you don’t have time for styling. It makes a diamond in the rough look a bit more polished in my opinion.
- Skip the rubber flip flops and put on some real sandals or opt for ballet flats over tennis shoes. For a cute, casual look, try some canvas sneakers instead of your usual athletic sneakers.
- Add one piece of jewelry. If you just want to feel pretty but aren’t that into jewelry, just add some small sparkly studs. It’s pretty and feminine without trying very hard. If you want to be a bit more adventurous, try a statement necklace or a bangle.
- Swap shorts for a skirt. If you already shaved, might as well make the most of it. The truth of it is, even if you do nothing else, a lot of people just see a skirt as being a step above your shorts or jeans, even if it’s an equally casual fabric.
- Lip balm. It keeps your lips moisturized, and can add some shine if you choose the right kind. I like Lip Smackers. It’s smooth and adds a bit of shine, not like a gloss just a hint. You might even consider something tinted, but to me the regular lip balm is the absolute easiest because you don’t even have to look to put it on, if it gets a little out of your lip line it’s not a big deal.
- A spritz of fragrance or a pleasantly scented lotion always makes me feel pretty and feminine, even if nobody else knows it’s there. Confidence can go a long way toward making you seem more put together.
I hope my tips have been helpful. Please, feel free to check out my Pinterest to see those hairstyles I talked about.